The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Supervisory Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Assistant Vocational Rehab & Employment Officer) in Honolulu, Hawaii Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Supervisory Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Assistant Vocational Rehab & Employment Officer) – Honolulu, Hawaii
Veterans Benefits Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 596656Start Date: 06/01/2022End Date: 06/22/2022
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement: 06/21/2022. 1. TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENT: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-13 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-12 level. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If you are a current VBA employee seeking reassignment or change to lower grade via this vacancy announcement, you must currently hold the GS-13 (or higher) and the promotion potential of your current position must be at least GS-13. 2. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: To be eligible for this position, you must have one of the following degrees. Your application MUST include a transcript (not diploma) stating the degree has been conferred or that you have graduated. A master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling; OR A master’s degree in counseling psychology (or related field) supplemented by at least 30 semester hours of course work in a majority of the following areas (coursework MUST have an emphasis on vocational rehabilitation counseling): foundations of rehabilitation counseling, human growth and development, counseling theories and techniques, vocational assessment, career development, job placement, case management, and medical/psycho-social aspects of disability. 3. INTERNSHIP REQUIREMENT: Your degree must have included either an internship or experience as described below. The experience or internship/practicum must have been supervised by a professional in vocational rehabilitation or a closely related professional field that typically has oversight for vocational rehabilitation programs. An internship in rehabilitation counseling; OR One year post-masters degree experience in direct delivery of vocational rehabilitation services to adults with disabilities in rehabilitation programs (other than those in correctional facilities). 4. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: In addition to the time-in-grade and education requirements, you must also meet the following grade-specific qualification requirements. NON-QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE: Vocational rehabilitation experience obtained prior to completion of the requirements for the master’s degree is NOT qualifying. If one year of work experience is substituted for an internship, that year cannot also be used for qualifying experience. Specialized experience, is one year equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-12), as follows: Specialized Experience is documented experience that has provided comprehensive knowledge of Vocational Rehabilitation programs. Specifically, documented concepts, principles, and theories of testing and evaluation, rehabilitation, job development and job placement, and demonstrated comprehensive experience in ALL of the following: Conducting assessments of both the local labor market, and employability. Active involvement in the development of appropriate vocational goals and subsequent objectives outlined in rehabilitation plans. Providing case management services to customers while pursuing their rehabilitation plans (e.g., personal contact regarding achievement of vocational goals, referral for medical or ancillary services, and responding efficiently to rehabilitation concerns); and Written and oral communication skills in explaining the benefits and services available through the rehabilitation program, equivalent to the GS-12 grade level. Candidates must also have demonstrated in their work experience or training that they possess, or have the potential to develop, the qualities to successfully supervise subordinates/teams and to share responsibility for directing and supervising the administrative work necessary to manage a successful program operation. SUPERVISORY/MANAGERIAL ABILITIES: Candidates must also demonstrate experience or training they possess, or have the potential to develop, the qualities of successful supervision as follows: 1) Assign to and review work of subordinates, train and work effectively with subordinates from a variety of backgrounds and with different levels/areas of training;
2) Accomplish the quality and quantity of work expected within set limits of cost and time;
3) Plan own work and carry out assignments effectively;
4) Communicate with others effectively both orally and in writing in working out solutions to problems or questions relating to the work;
5) Understand and further management goals as these affect day-to-day work operations; and
6) Develop improvements in, or design new work methods and procedures. Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Full vs. Part-Time Employment: Full-time employment is considered to be at least 35 hours per week. Part-time experience will be credited on a pro-rated basis; when including part-time employment in your resume you must specify the average hours worked per week. Physical Requirements: This work normally involves mental rather than physical exertion. This position is primarily sedentary with some walking, standing, bending, stooping and carrying of lightweight items (i.e. folders, claims files).
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are free to apply!