The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Dental Assistant in Billings, Montana Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Dental Assistant – Billings, Montana
Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 585048Start Date: 04/08/2022End Date: 05/06/2022
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met. Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship. Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. Experience and Education. Six months experience that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to perform the work, or provides familiarity with the work; OR Education. Successful completion of a 1-year dental assistant program accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA); OR Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combinations of experience and education are qualifying. Certification. Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer Radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and be certified as radiographers in their field. Provisions for Certification of Radiologic Competence: Successful completion of the Dental Radiation Health and Safety Examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc.; OR Successful completion of the Principles and Practice of Dental Radiology and Radiographic Safety courses and examinations developed by the Assistant Under Secretary for Health for Dentistry; OR Successful completion of a radiation health and safety program or examination approved by a state board of dentistry or the Department of Defense (DOD). Grade Determinations: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the specialized experience as described below: GS-3
Experience or Education. None beyond the basic requirements. GS-4
Experience or Education. In addition to the basic requirements, 1 year of experience equivalent to the next lower level, OR 2 years of education above high school that included completion of a dental assistant program accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
1. Basic knowledge of infection control and safe instrument handling.
2. Basic knowledge of dental procedures and medical emergencies.
3. Ability to perform basic radiographic image capture and processing/retrieval.
4. Basic knowledge of maintenance, care and storage of dental equipment.
5. Basic knowledge of patient privacy requirements. GS-5
Experience or Education. In addition to the requirements listed at GS-4 above, applicants must demonstrate at least 1 year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level that demonstrates the core competencies described at that level. OR Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study that included or was supplemented by completion of a dental assistant program by Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). In addition the applicant must demonstrate the following Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
1. Knowledge of anatomy and ability to evaluate diagnostic quality.
2. Broad knowledge of common medical emergencies and vital signs measurement.
3. Basic knowledge of instruments, materials and standardized dental procedures
4. Ability to learn and utilize software programs used within VHA.
5. Basic communication skills to provide patient instructions according to established protocol. GS-6
Experience. At least 1 year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level that demonstrates the core competencies described at that level. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
1. Ability to identify normal oral anatomy.
2. Advanced knowledge of instruments, materials, and standardized dental procedures used in all phases of restorative, surgical, endodontic and periodontal care and procedures.
3. Ability to monitor and perform basic interpretation of vital signs.
4. Ability to independently provide procedure-specific patient education and appropriate referral of patient concerns to treating dentist.
5. Ability to capture standard and special dental images of good diagnostic quality in traditional or digital formats.
6. Ability to perform maintenance on dental equipment used for routine and specialty dentistry.
7. Ability to enter and retrieve data utilizing electronic dental records.
8. Ability to perform dental assistant-appropriate laboratory procedures. References: VA Handbook 5005/46, Part II, Appendix G36 Dental Assistant Qualification Standard. The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6. Physical Requirements: Work involves regular and recurring exposure to potential hazards of radiation and communicable diseases. Assistant uses lead shielding or takes other acceptable measures for protection against radiation and disease and uses personal protective equipment (e.g. surgical gowns, masks, eye wear, gloves, etc.) during clinical procedures and in accordance with service guidelines and policies. Long periods of standing, walking, sitting, and bending are required for the entire shift.
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are free to apply!