The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for an Orthotist/Prosthetist in San Juan, Puerto Rico Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Orthotist/Prosthetist – San Juan, Puerto Rico
Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 559353Start Date: 01/06/2022End Date: 10/01/2022
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met. Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. Education: (1) A bachelor’s degree or higher in orthotics and prosthetics from a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited program. (2) A bachelor’s degree or higher in any major along with a post-graduate orthotics or prosthetics certificate from a CAAHEP accredited program. Graduates of foreign degree programs must have proof of a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (or foreign equivalent, as verified through an independent credential evaluation company), with a specialization in orthotics and prosthetics. Board Certification: Candidates must be board certified by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics (ABC) or the Board for Orthotist/Prosthetist Certification (BOC) as an orthotist, prosthetist, or orthotist/prosthetist. The board certificate must be current and the applicant must abide by the certifying body’s requirements for continuing education. Certification as a technician, pedorthist, assistant or fitter does not meet this requirement. English Language Proficiency: Orthotists, prosthetists, or orthotist/prosthetists must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d). May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation and meet the criteria). Preferred Experience: None beyond the basic requirements. Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates. GS-9 Grade Level: Education equivalent to 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or master’s or equivalent graduate degree in orthotics and/or prosthetics, provided the applicant’s total background demonstrates the core competencies for GS-9 level assignment .OR Experience: Completion of 1 year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level which demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to provide orthotic/prosthetic services in a hospital setting In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs): 1. Ability to attend clinics and participate as a member of the treatment team. This includes knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, physics, and etiology of diseases as well as knowledge of psychology and age-related competencies
2. Knowledge of the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS).
3. Ability to conduct clinical patient analyses such as gait, range of motion, life style, etc., for patients with complex but typical conditions.
4. Ability to take necessary measurements, casts, or scans to develop positive molds of the affected area of the body to create orthoses and/or prostheses. GS-11 (Full Performance Level):Experience: Completion of 1 year of experience as an orthotist/prosthetist equivalent to the next lower grade level that demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to provide orthotic/prosthetic services in a hospital setting . In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs: 1. Ability to attend clinics and participate as a fully participating member of the treatment team with considerable influence in the development of the treatment plan. This includes advanced knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, physics, and etiology of diseases as well as knowledge of psychology and age related competencies.
2. Ability to conduct clinical patient analyses such as gait, range of motion, life style, etc., for patients with a wide range of complex medical conditions which include unusual problems or complications, and to design unique or innovative devices to accommodate those conditions.
3. Ability to recognize physical abnormalities, deviations, and complicating conditions with potentially life threatening implications References: VA Handbook 5005-91, Part II, Appendix G32 Dated: March 21, 2017.The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-9 to GS-11 The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-9 to GS-11. Physical Requirements: Work requires regular and recurring physical exertion in standing, bending, kneeling, reaching, gripping, and walking. Sitting is required in meetings and for conducting administrative work. Work may require physical health, normal use of arms and legs, and good visual and auditory acuity. May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation and meet the criteria).
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at email@example.com. All are free to apply!