The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Nursing Assistant in Houston, Texas Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Nursing Assistant – Houston, Texas
Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 531803Start Date: 11/01/2021End Date: 11/20/2021
Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. Education or Training. One year above high school with courses related to the NA occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3. Transcript or proof of Nursing Assistant training must be submitted. English Language Proficiency. Must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA policy. May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation and meet the criteria). Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates. Your resume must demonstrate that you possess the specialized experience necessary to possess the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required for the grade. Be explicit in describing the job duties that demonstrate you possess the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities listed. Transcript must be submitted. GS-3 NA (Entry Level)
Experience and Education. None beyond the basic requirements. GS-4 NA Experience. One year of specialized experience as a NA or experience in another medical field (licensed practical nurse, health technician, hospital corpsman, etc.), performing technical and nursing skills requiring knowledge of the human physical and emotional states, therapeutic communication, and technical skills required for basic and intermediate treatments;
Education. Successful completion of 2 years above high school in an accredited institution with courses related to nursing care, health care or in a field of study appropriate to the specialization of the position, such as education in a program for psychology, psychiatric, or operating room technicians; Transcript must be submitted.
Demonstrated KSAs In addition, you must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Ability to provide a range of patient/resident care and contribute to the completion of the nurse care plan and recovery of patients/residents.
2. Ability to observe patients/residents’ or resident’s physical or emotional status and refer deviations and/or problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
3. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures such as bladder scan, continuous passive motion device, blood glucose monitoring machine, specimen collection, etc.
4. Ability to communicate effectively with patients/residents, their families and other health professionals. GS-5 NA (Full Performance Level) Experience. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSAs in subparagraph (c) below;
Education. Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor’s degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor’s degree; Transcript must be submitted.
1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new NAs by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc. Preferred Experience: Knowledge and applications of placements of IV’s. Minimum 5 years of hospital experience / patient care. Knowledge of basic nursing care duties, skills including CPR. Ability to assess patient as well as monitoring vital signs. Interpersonal communication—ability to act as a liaison between family member and patients as it relates to patient care. Ability to work closely with all medical personal to include but not limited to Dr’s, RN’s, DRT’s, Management. Knowledge of sterile techniques / maintaining sterile field. References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Nursing Assistant Qualification Standards, Appendix G46 The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-5. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-3 to GS-5. Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting, 45 pounds and over; moderate carrying, 15-44 pounds; pushing up to 4 hours; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers, good dexterity (both hands required); prolonged walking / sitting, prolonged standing; repeated bending; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); speed in working; and emotional stability.
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are free to apply!