The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Medical Technologist in Harlingen, Texas Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Medical Technologist – Harlingen, Texas
Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 458371Start Date: 05/21/2021End Date: 06/14/2021
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 06/14/2021.
Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency: Medical Technologist’s must be proficient in spoken and written English. Education and/or Experience Combination (1) A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in medical laboratory science, medical technology, clinical laboratory science or in a related science (e.g., laboratory sciences such as chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, immunology, etc.).
completion of a medical technology clinical practice program. Clinical practice programs completed after 1974 must have been accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP, formerly CAHEA), or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). The professional curriculum may have consisted of a post-baccalaureate certificate program or be integrated into a four-year program of study that culminated in a baccalaureate degree. OR
(2) A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one course in organic or biochemistry) and one course in mathematics,
two years of post-certification clinical laboratory experience (e.g., blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, clinical microscopy, etc.) within the last ten years as a certified Medical Laboratory Technician by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC), American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Registry (ASCP-BOR) or American Medical Technologists (AMT). This experience must include performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory, OR
(3) A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one course in organic or biochemistry) and one course in mathematics,
five years of clinical laboratory experience within the last ten years performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory. Certification: Candidates must have either (1) or (2) below: (1) Candidates must currently possess the appropriate certification as a MT, MLS, or CLS given by the ASCP-BOC, ASCP-BOR, or AMT.
(2) For positions up to the full performance level, candidates must currently possess the categorical or specialist technologist level certification from the certification agencies listed above, such as, but not limited to, chemistry (C/SC), hematology (H/SH), microbiology (M/SM), molecular biology (MB/SMB) and blood bank (BB/SBB). Technologists with categorical or specialist certifications may only perform duties within the area of the laboratory specific to their categorical certification (e. g., an individual with a chemistry (C) certification can only perform duties in chemistry). Exception: Non-certified applicants who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements for certification may be given a temporary appointment up to the full performance level not to exceed one year as a graduate medical technologist under the authority of 38 U.S.C. § 7405(c)(2)(B). This appointment may not be extended. Failure to Obtain Certification: In all cases, MTs must actively pursue meeting prerequisites for certification from the date of their appointment. At the time of appointment, the supervisor will provide the MT with the written requirement to obtain certification, the date by which the certification must be acquired, and the consequences for not becoming certified by the deadline. Failure to become certified within one year from date of appointment will result in removal from the GS-0644 MT series. Failure to obtain certification during that period is justification for termination of the temporary appointment. Foreign Graduates: Graduates of foreign baccalaureate degree programs meet the educational and/or experience requirements if the degree is found to be equivalent to degree programs recognized by the NAACLS or clinical laboratory experience as described in paragraph 2b(2) or (3) above. This finding may be based on either of the following:(1) A letter from a college or university with a baccalaureate program recognized by the NAACLS stating that the individual’s foreign degree has been evaluated and been found to be equivalent to its bachelor of medical technology degree.(2) A letter from ASCP-BOC or AMT stating that the individual is eligible for the certification examination. May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation). Preferred Experience: One year of full-time clinical laboratory experience. ASCP Certification as a Specialist in Chemistry (SC), Hematology (SH), or Microbiology (SM). Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS). Grade Determinations:
GS-07 – None beyond the basic requirements. GS-09 Full Performance Level: Education: Must have Master’s degree or 2 academic years of progressively higher-level graduate education in medical technology or directly related field.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. In addition to the experience or education above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Comprehensive knowledge of professional MT principles, practices, concepts and theories providing for sound independent work.
2. Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory quality control and assurance procedures and principles of performance improvement in order to manage reagent and supply inventories and document control systems.
3. Knowledge of laboratory equipment and ability to maintain, troubleshoot and repair instrumentation.
4. Ability to plan, organize, set priorities, work as a team member and effectively complete assignments.
5. Ability to use independent technical judgment to analyze and interpret laboratory results.
6. Ability to read, interpret and apply complex written instructions.
7. Skilled in informatics, laboratory data flow and the understanding of laboratory processes.
8. Ability to communicate, consult and interact with other members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education. References: VA Handbook 5005/72 Part II Appendix G24, Medical Technologist Qualification Standard dated May 12, 2014. The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-09. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-07 to GS-09. Physical Requirements: Light lifting & carrying (under 15 pounds); use of fingers; walking (up to 3 hours); standing (up to 4 hours); repeated bending (up to 2 hours); both eyes required; ability to distinguish basic and shades of colors; hearing (aid permitted); mental and emotional stability.
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at email@example.com. All are free to apply!