The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Medical Supply Tech (Sterile Processing) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Medical Supply Tech (Sterile Processing) – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 434869Start Date: 04/06/2021End Date: 04/26/2021
Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. Experience and/or Education: (1) Experience. Six months of experience that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to perform the work or provides an understanding of the work; or (2) Education. One year above high school that included at least 6 semester hours in health care related courses such as sterile processing, nursing assistant, hospital corpsman, and operating room and surgical technician courses or other courses related to the position; or (3) Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable. Certification. None. Foreign Education: To be creditable, education completed outside the U.S. must have been submitted to a private organization that specializes in the interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education must have been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U. S. programs. Physical Requirements: See VA Directive and Handbook 5019 (also see below) English Language Proficiency: MSTs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j, this part. Preferred Experience: ***3- 5 years of experience in a sterile processing service environment*** Preferred additional skills and certifications.
1. Instructions from a formal Sterile Processing course with a minimum of 400 hours of hands on experience.
2. Certification from International Association Healthcare Central Service Materials Management IAHCSMM or equivalent.
3. Basic Knowledge of Flexible Endoscopy GRADE REQUIREMENTS Creditable Experience (1) Knowledge of Current MST Practices. To be creditable, the experience must have demonstrated the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) associated with MST responsibilities. Experience satisfying this requirement may be paid/non-paid employment as a MST.
(2) Quality of Experience. Qualifying experience must be at a level comparable to MST experience at the next lower grade level of the position being filled. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher level duties must consist of significant scope, administrative independence, complexity (difficulty) and range of variety as described in this standard at the specified grade level and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time. Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates
GS-06 (Full Performance Level)
Experience. One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Knowledge of surgical instruments used in operating rooms and clinic settings.
2. Knowledge of universal precautions for safety and prevention of cross contamination.
3. Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, microbiology, medical conditions and procedures.
4. Knowledge of sterility principles in regards to instrumentation.
5. Ability to read and interpret written instructions and procedures. Assignment. This is the full performance level for the occupation. Receives contaminated critical and semi-critical RME in the decontamination area and may receive noncritical equipment in the decontamination area as well. Disassembles the RME and determines the correct cleaning method, such as but not limited to ultrasonic cleaners, mechanical washers, cart washers and chemical cleaning/decontamination agents, as determined by manufacturer instructions. Inspects, assembles and determines the correct method and packaging for sterilization such as but not limited to steam, Sterrad, Steris, ETO, and high level disinfecting scope re-processors. Performs and documents daily operational checks and records for all sterilization equipment. References: July 8, 2015 VA HANDBOOK 5005/83 PART II APPENDIX G47 The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is GS-06. Physical Requirements: You must be able to meet the physical demands of the position. While performing duties of this job the Medical Supply Technician is frequently required to stand, walk, and bend and reach. Must be able to lift and/or move over 50 pounds. Must have good manual dexterity and keyboarding skills. Must be able to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word. Must be able to view and read information on computer screens. Must be able to work under noisy conditions do to reprocessing machines.
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at email@example.com. All are free to apply!