The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a General Engineer (Project Activation Coordinator) in Birmingham, Alabama Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
General Engineer (Project Activation Coordinator) – Birmingham, Alabama
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 325599Start Date: 09/17/2020End Date: 10/01/2020
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, . Time-in-grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT – Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in professional engineering from an accredited college or university. To be acceptable, the curriculum must, ( I) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics; (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED)
Possess a combination of college level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished the applicant with; (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED/DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED) The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1) Professional Registration-Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board’s eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions. (COPY OF CURRENT REGISTRATION REQUIRED)
2) Written Test- Evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Because of the diversity in kind and quality of BET programs, graduates of other BET programs are required to complete at least 1 year of additional education or highly technical work experience of such nature as to provide reasonable assurance of the possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for professional engineering competence. The adequacy of this background must be demonstrated by passing the EIT examination (DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED).
3) Specified academic courses-Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described above. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
4) Related curriculum-Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least I year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED /DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED) The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive. Specialized Experience: For the GS-12: One year of specialized experience at the GS-11 level.
Applicants must have One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-11) in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that equipped you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the General Engineer position, and that is typically in or related to the duties of this position. Specialized experience would include working as a professional engineer or management skills in engineering project management and construction; developing and oversees procedures for activation activities and with the assistance of Engineering Service Staff, helps coordinate all phases of projects involving construction including preplanning, submission of any application materials including mitigation requirements of all levels of analysis design (A/E work), actual construction, and all post construction activation activities. Projects involve both clinical and administrative services; developing policies and procedures to help oversee and coordinate the space management program at the main Medical Center, all CBOC’s, leased space, VA-DoD locations, and any other location of interest; researches and/or analyzes problems, issues, or program requirements regarding project activation and space management. Researches and/or analyzes both clinical and administrative issues with respect to project activation and space allocation. Determines critical issues and prioritizes these for planning and action. This specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other characteristics (KSAOs) based on your application for this position. 1. Professional knowledge of architectural, civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical engineering concepts, principles, and practices applicable to the full range of duties concerned with the design, layout, and construction of facilities structures, such as multi-story office buildings, steam plants, hospital, industrial type shops and recreation facilities.
2. Knowledge of review and evaluation techniques and contract specifications as it relates to a design/construction project.
3. Knowledge and ability to apply various engineering codes and standards related to engineering design.
4. Ability to manage design and construction projects in a health care environment.
5. Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with internal and external customers. IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management’s website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are free to apply!