Today’s post is Dum Lagake Haisha (2015) – A Complete Analysis. Dum Lagake Haisha (2015) challenges middle class prejudices regarding the selection of brides.
Dum Lagake Haisha (2015) – A Complete Analysis
- There is no space for an additional person at their house. But, Prem’s (Ayushmann Khurrana) father (Sanjay Mishra) finalizes Prem’s marriage.
- Prem is compelled to marry Sandhya (Bhumi Pednekar) by his parents. It appears that in villages boys and girls are still pressurized to get married without their consent.
- Sandhya is a trained teacher and Prem is a school drop-out. No wonder, they are unable to live together, initially. This is a story, that came out of a writer’s pen. But, in reality, such alliances do not last for long. Even if they do, the relationship is strained.
- To avoid the excessive expenditure during marriages, groups of girls and boys are married at a single event, at many places in India.
- Sandhya is called Saand (bull) by her own younger brother because she is obese. This, he does in front of their parents. Their parents do not tell him to be respectful to his older sister. What kind example are the makers trying to set? What moral values are they displaying to the new generation?
- Challenging middle-class prejudices on the selection of brides, Dum Lagake Haisha (2015) is a good attempt at that. Movie-makers should attempt such topics. But, my request is that while selecting such themes, they should make sure that they are sending the right message to the audience.
- Music by Anu Malik and lyrics by Varun Grover are ok. The trend of using the works by several music composers and lyricists has not affected this movie.
- At the same time, they could have added a couple of more songs.
- I loved the songs Moh moh ke dhage… and Dard karaara…
Dum Lagake Haisha (2015) songs