Kuwait emir, 91, to go to US for medical care after surgery

0

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) – Kuwait’s 91-year-old ruling emir will travel to the United States on Thursday morning to seek further medical care after recently undergoing surgery, its state-run news agency reported.

Kuwait has yet to elaborate on what required Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah to seek a previously unannounced medical treatment beginning Saturday. However, Sheikh Sabah’s sudden surgery could inspire a renewed power struggle within Kuwait’s ruling family.

The state-run KUNA news agency quoted a statement from the country’s royal court saying Sheikh Sabah would leave “based on advice from the medical team treating His Highness to complete his treatment after a successful surgical procedure.”

“We ask the Almighty to aid his recovery and sustain His Highness, who is healthy and well taken care of, and to protect him from all harm,” the statement said.

FILE – In this March 31, 2019, file photo, Kuwait’s ruling emir, Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, attends the opening of the 30th Arab Summit, in Tunis, Tunisia. Kuwait’s 91-year-old ruler has been admitted to the hospital for a medical checkup, the oil-rich nation’s state-run news agency reported Saturday, July 18, 2020. Sheikh Sabah was in “good health,” the KUNA news agency said, citing a statement from the country’s diwan minister. (Fethi Belaid/Pool Photo via AP, File)
Advertisements