NEW YORK (AP) – The broadcast networks might want to consider promoting David Muir, Lester Holt and Norah O’Donnell, at least in the summer months.
ABC’s Muir-hosted â€œWorld News Tonightâ€ and NBC’s â€œNightly Newsâ€ with Holt both averaged more viewers than any single program in prime time television last week, the Nielsen company said.
The â€œCBS Evening Newsâ€ with O’Donnell wasn’t that far behind.
â€œWorld News Tonightâ€ averaged 9 million viewers for its five telecasts last week. â€œNightly Newsâ€ had 7.6 million and the â€œCBS Evening Newsâ€ had 5.3 million.
The first weeks of July are generally the least-watched in television all year, with reruns dominating the schedule and the outdoors beckoning.
Among youthful viewers aged 18-to-49, the Spanish-language network Univision beat all of the other broadcasters last week with popular telenovelas.
For the week, CBS averaged 3.4 million viewers in prime time. ABC had 2.71 million viewers, NBC had 2.66 million, Univision had 1.5 million, Fox had 1.3 million, ION Television had 1.1 million and Telemundo had 810,000
Fox News Channel led the cable networks with a prime time average of 3.2 million viewers. MSNBC had 2.13 million, CNN had 1.46 million, TLC had 1.34 million and HGTV had 1.26 million.
For the week of July 6-12, the top 20 prime time programs, their networks and viewerships:
1. â€œ60 Minutes,â€ CBS, 7.05 million.
2. â€œNCIS,â€ CBS, 5.53 million.
3. â€œCelebrity Family Feud,â€ ABC, 5.13 million.
4. â€œFBI,â€ CBS, 4.63 million.
5. â€œHannityâ€ (Thursday), Fox News, 4.47 million.
6. â€œAmerica’s Got Talent,â€ NBC, 4.39 million.
7. â€œTucker Carlson Tonight” (Monday), Fox News, 4.3 million.
8. â€œTucker Carlson Tonightâ€ (Wednesday), Fox News, 4.29 million.
9. â€œAmerica’s Funniest Home Videos,â€ ABC, 4.21 million.
10. â€œHannityâ€ (Monday), Fox News, 4.14 million.
11. â€œYoung Sheldon,â€ CBS, 4.135 million.
12. â€œThe Neighborhood,â€ CBS, 4.12 million.
13. â€œTough as Nails,â€ CBS, 4.1 million.
14. â€œTucker Carlson Tonightâ€ (Thursday), Fox News, 4.06 million.
15. â€œHannityâ€ (Tuesday), Fox News, 3.97 million.
16. â€œHannityâ€ (Wednesday), Fox News, 3.92 million.
17. â€œTucker Carlson Tonightâ€ (Tuesday), Fox News, 3.865 million.
18. â€œTitan Games,â€ NBC, 3.85 million.
19. â€œBob Hearts Abishola,â€ CBS, 3.79 million.
20. â€œMagnum P.I.,â€ CBS, 3.78 million.