Jyoti (Juhi Chawla) and her senior Vidya (Shabana Azmi) are teachers working under Principal Indu Shastry (Zarina Wahab). The management replaces Indu with the supervisor Kamini Gupta (Divya Dutta), who wants to replace all the teachers with new ones. When Vidya is thrown out saying that her teaching is outdated, the senior teacher gets a heart attack. Jyoti creates a revolution throughout the social media by publicizing about the incident and Kamini and the management have to succumb to the pressure. They decide to have a quiz contest akin to Kaun Banega Karorepati (Who will be a millionaire) where both the teachers have to display their knowledge. How they win the quiz contest is the story all about. Here’s the complete analysis of Chalk n Duster (2016).
Chalk n Duster (2016) – A Complete Analysis
It is not all that easy as above. The following is the stark reality:
- The movie shows that the management decides to remove all chairs from the classes. But, this is not a unique case. Today, most schools do not have chairs in the classes. The management says that teachers are not supposed to sit. This is utterly inhuman. I wonder how our teachers could teach well by sitting on a chair in the class when we were students.
- The policy of many school managements is to overfill the classes, the students may or may not fit the space. This aspect is not being highlighted in any of the movies I have seen about teaching, until now. Many teachers have permanently lost their voices shouting in a class of 80 + students.
- New age teachers are afraid of the students because they are thrown out of the school due to the complaint of the notorious students. Very few students are interested in studies.
- Temples of knowledge have no value for knowledge. Knowledgeable but new teachers are grudgingly isolated by the seniors.
- You get the support of colleagues only when you have experience in that particular school. Newcomers are also isolated by them, saying, “Nobody listens to people earning less.” I have been wondering how these people get to know how much the new teachers earn and gossip about it.
- Jyoti gets time to do yoga in the morning before going to school. In reality, there is no time in the morning for any kind of exercise. The previous night, you would have completed the correction of worksheets very late at night. Getting up in the morning is an ordeal.
- Though the 3 songs written by Javed Akhtar Sahab and composed by Sandesh Shandilya are good, there could have been more of them.