Chandni (1989) is the story of the female protagonist with Sridevi playing the title role. Chandni and Rohit (Rishi Kapoor) fall in love with each other. Everything is going fine. But, due to a quirky turn of fate, Rohit gets involved in an accident and becomes paralyzed waist down. He rejects Chandni, who tries to bring cheer into his life.
After being rejected by him and his family, Chandni moves to another city and her boss falls in love with her. When they are about to get married, Rohit returns into her life hale and hearty. Chandni is in a dilemma, with whom to get married. The resolution of the dilemma involves the rest of the plot.
Chandni (1989) – A Complete Analysis
- The whole movie has been written from the male point of view – one man gets the girl and the other sacrifices the girl for the other. The man giving up the girl becomes a martyr in love. The whole plot makes the girl look selfish.
- After being rejected by her beloved, a girl will not wait for him. Nor will she get attracted to anybody else. She will do away with the whole emotion called love and move on. At least, a self-respecting girl like the character Sridevi portrays would.
- The girl will, rather, concentrate on her financial stability. For that, she should be educated. In the movie, the girl decides to marry her boss, though there is no compulsion. He is a rich guy. It appears like, she has made an arrangement for her financial stability by deciding to marry him. This also makes her look selfish. She could have categorically rejected the proposal. But, she doesn’t.
- Needless to say, Sri Didi has done her job exceptionally well, in a supposed ‘author-backed role’.
- The songs composed by Shiv-Hari and penned by Anand Bakshi are beautiful and well-placed.