The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Health Technician (Ophthalmology) in El Paso, Texas Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Health Technician (Ophthalmology) – El Paso, Texas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 259878Start Date: 05/14/2020End Date: 06/03/2020
Basic Requirements: Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified candidates in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3g, this part.) Experience. One year of experience in a health care field, such as but not limited to nursing, medical assistant, or health technician. OR Education. Two years above high school with a minimum of six semester hours directly related to a health care field or associate’s degree in a health care related degree. OR Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combinations of experience and education are qualifying. Examples are listed below: Six months of experience in the health care field; and one year above high school; or Six months of experience in the health care field and successful completion of a course for health care technicians, hospital corpsmen, medical service specialists, or ophthalmology technicians given by the U.S. Armed Forces; or Six months of experience in the health care field and completion of an independent study course in Ophthalmic Medical Assisting. 5. Certification. All applicants must be certified as a Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) with the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO). The COA certification is JCAHPO’s entry-level certification examination for a Health Technician (Ophthalmology). Preferred Experience: Experience with laboratory data Experience with radiograms Experience with clinical photographs Experience with Ophthalmic procedures Grade Determinations: Health Technician (Ophthalmology), GS-8 (Full Performance Level) Experience. One year of experience equivalent to the GS-7 grade level. Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA). In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate all of the following KSAs: 1. Ability to perform advanced tonometry and pupil evaluation.
2. Ability to perform calculations for selection of intraocular lens.
3. Knowledge of clinic based ophthalmic surgical assisting.
4. Knowledge of eye anatomy and physiology.
5. Knowledge of medication effects and proper instillation in the eye.
6. Knowledge of optics.
7. Knowledge of proper cleaning and maintenance of clinic equipment. References: VA HANDBOOK 5005/98, PART II APPENDIX G52, HEALTH TECHNICIAN (OPHTHALMOLOGY) QUALIFICATION STANDARD, GS-0640 The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-8. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-5 to GS-8. Physical Requirements: Moderate Lifting, 15-44 pounds; Moderate Carrying, 15-44 pounds; Straight Pulling (6 Hours); Pushing (6 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of Fingers; Both hands required; Walking (8 hours); Standing (8 hours); Kneeling (1 hour); Repeated Bending (4 hours); Far Vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Read without strain typed characters; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Hearing (aid may be permitted; working closely with others; working alone
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are free to apply!