The Latest on the coronavirus pandemic, which has infected more than 343,400 people and killed over 14,700. The COVID-19 illness causes mild or moderate symptoms in most people, but severe symptoms are more likely in the elderly or those with existing health problems. More than 98,800 people have recovered so far, mostly in China.
TOP OF THE HOUR:
– Two former passengers of Diamond Princess cruise ship have died.
– Employees at one of Poland’s biggest hospitals test positive for coronavirus.
– Pope Francis cancels May 31 day trip to Malta.
– Luxury fashion labels to manufacture surgical masks.
TOKYO – Japan’s health ministry said Monday that two former passengers of a cruise ship died, becoming the ninth and 10th fatalities from the Diamond Princess.
The two men had tested positive for the virus while on board and were treated at hospitals. The ministry didn’t disclose the direct cause of their deaths.
Japan now has 1,801 confirmed cases, including 712 from the ship. The death toll now totals 51, including 10 from the ship.
KRAKOW, Poland – One of Polandâ€™s biggest hospitals, the University Hospital in Krakow, has closed almost all wards to new patients after a few of its employees tested positive for coronavirus.
Only the contagious diseases ward, dedicated to treating COVID-19, remains open. All patients in the hospital will be tested for coronavirus during the week, or some seven days after they had contact with the infected medics. Experts say that to be effective, the tests need to be taken about a week after potential exposure to the virus.
The hospital provides educational and practical base to medicine students of the Jagiellonian University. All schools and universities in Poland were closed earlier this month in an effort to fight the spreading virus.
A nation of 38 million, Poland has confirmed 649 cases of coronavirus infection. Seven patients have died.
VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis has canceled his planned day trip to Malta on May 31 due to the coronavirus.
The Vatican on Monday made official what was widely expected, given Italyâ€™s nationwide lockdown to try to contain the virus and Maltaâ€™s decision to bar air traffic from Italy. Italy is the epicenter of COVID-19 in Europe, registering nearly 60,000 infections and more than 5,400 deaths.
The May 31 trip had been Francisâ€™ only confirmed foreign trip of 2020. The Vatican said it would be rescheduled.
He had hoped to travel to Iraq this year, but those hopes were dashed after the security situation deteriorated following a U.S. airstrike that killed an Iranian general. Francis was also rumored to be planning a trip to Indonesia, East Timor and Papua New Guinea. But local church officials in East Timor said that trip too, was off.
Despite the virus, Francis is continuing to meet daily with his top advisers.
PARIS – Yves Saint Laurent and Balenciaga are the latest luxury fashion labels ramping up supplies of surgical masks to help the fight against COVID-19.
The Kering Group, which owns the labels, says French workshops that usually make luxury clothes for Yves Saint Laurent and Balenciaga will switch over to manufacturing masks. It says production will begin â€œas soon as the manufacturing process and materials have been approved by the relevant authorities.â€ It did not say how many masks the workshops will be able to make.
Kering said it will also buy and import 3 million surgical masks from China for donation to the French health service.
The worldâ€™s largest luxury group – Paris-based LVMH – has also said it has reached a deal with a Chinese industrial supplier to deliver 10 million masks to the French population.
GENEVA – The World Health Organization says criminals are increasingly posing as WHO officials in an effort to swipe information or money from people during the coronavirus crisis.
Spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said Monday that attackers are using â€œmultiple impersonation approachesâ€ such as fraudulent phone calls and phishing on email and through social media.
The U.N. health agency said it is working to confirm and debunk such attempts and alert local authorities. It has set up a website to help people prevent fraud during the coronavirus outbreak.
“Always take time to think about a request for your personal information, and whether the request is appropriate,” WHO said.
WHO says its official emails come from the â€œwho.intâ€ domain.
BEIJING – China’s foreign ministry says the U.S. is “completely wasting the precious time” Beijing had won in attacking the global coronavirus outbreak that originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said at a daily briefing Monday that the U.S. has attempted to â€œdiscredit others and look for a scapegoat to shift its responsibilities.â€
He added that the U.S. should â€œstop politicizing the epidemic, stop stigmatizing and defaming China and other countries.â€
China’s health ministry says Wuhan has now gone five consecutive days without a new infection, showing the effectiveness of draconian travel restrictions that are slowly being relaxed around the country.
At the same time, China is stepping up measures to prevent the virus from being brought back from overseas, requiring international flights into Beijing to first stop at airports outside the capital for inspection.
TIRANA, Albania – Albania has reported three more deaths from the coronavirus. The country did not report a single case until two weeks ago, and had said that it expected a surge in cases this week.
The Health Ministry has reported the deaths of a 71-year-old late Sunday night and a 43-year old and a 61-year-old Monday morning, raising Albania’s death toll to four. The country has confirmed 89 cases.
Albania is in a lockdown, with all borders closed, and schools, cafes, restaurants, gyms, and public and private transport shut. All shops except for groceries and pharmacies are also closed.
WARSAW, Poland – Polish police say they have carried out inspections of nearly 80,000 people subjected to forced quarantine because of the coronavirus pandemic and found 318 cases of people violating the quarantine.
The Polish government has enacted increasingly firm measures in order to slow the spread of COVID-19. Last week the government increased penalties for quarantine non-compliance from 5,000 zlotys ($1,180) to 30,000 zlotys ($7,075). The authorities also extended an initial two-week closure of all schools in the country for an additional two weeks, lasting through Easter.
Additionally, they introduced a phone app to track those in home quarantine.
So far, Poland, with a population of 38 million people, has 649 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and seven deaths.
National police spokesman Mariusz Ciarka said that over the last day police inspected 79,196 people in quarantine and discovered 318 irregularities.
LONDON – British justice officials have put new jury trials on hold as the court system places safety measures in place amid the coronavirus crisis.
Lord Chief Justice Ian Burnett said in a statement Monday that jurors summoned this week are being contacted to ask them to remain at home.
Burnett said ongoing jury trials will also be paused to make sure arrangements are in place to make certain they can continue to operate safely.
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Secret Service says an employee has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The agency said in a statement early Monday that it will continue to monitor the employee’s condition. The employee is in quarantine.
The agency says it determined after an assessment that the employee has had no contact with other employees or anyone the agency is responsible for protecting for nearly three weeks.
The Secret Service provides security protection for President Donald Trump and his family, among other high-ranking U.S. officials.
PARIS – Airbus is canceling planned dividend payments and lining up 15 billion euros ($16 billion) in new credit to give the European aircraft giant more cash to weather the COVID-19 crisis.
Airbus said Monday that withdrawing the proposed 2019 dividend payment of 1.8 euros ($1.90) per share will save the company 1.4 billion euros ($1.5 billion).
The approval from Airbusâ€™ directors for 15 billion euros in new borrowing is on top of an existing 3 billion euro ($3.2 billion) revolving credit facility.
Airbus said that it â€œhas significant liquidity available to cope with additional cash requirements related to the coronavirus,â€ and that the firm â€œintends to secure business continuity for itself even in a protracted crisis.â€
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka – Sri Lanka’s government has banned nonessential travel across the Indian Ocean island nation, in the latest measure to contain the spreading of the coronavirus.
The government is allowing the transport of rice and other essential items.
Also on Monday, a statement from the presidentâ€™s office said the government has banned the transporting of tourists. Tourism is a major income source for the country.
Sri Lanka has confirmed 82 coronavirus cases.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand – Office workers are hauling computers and plants to their cars and shoppers are stripping shelves bare of coffee, flour and toilet paper before New Zealand starts a four-week lockdown.
“I know it will feel daunting,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said, but she said the move was meant to save lives.
People must stay home and all non-essential businesses and activities cease when the lockdown begins late Wednesday night.
The decision came as health officials announced another 36 confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total to 102. Most were tied to travel overseas, but crucially, two of the cases could not be traced and officials believe they are evidence of a local outbreak.
New Zealand, which has a population of 5 million, already has closed its borders to all but citizens and residents.
New Zealand also considers itself a gateway to South Pacific island nations that would be devastated if the virus took hold there, given their isolation and poor health systems. Only a handful of virus cases have been identified so far in the South Pacific, including two in Fiji and one in Papua New Guinea.
CANBERRA, Australia – A fourth Australian federal lawmaker has tested positive for the coronavirus.
South Australia state Senator Rex Patrick, from the minor Center Alliance party, said on Monday he tested for COVID-19 after being in contact with infected government Senator Andrew Bragg two weeks ago. Bragg, from New South Wales state, is among 35 guests who became infected at a March 6 wedding south of Sydney.
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton was the first Australian lawmaker to discover he was infected days after returning from Washington, where he met President Donald Trumpâ€™s daughter Ivanka and U.S. Attorney General William Barr. Queensland state government Senator Susan McDonald announced days later that she was also infected.
None of the four is in the national capital Canberra, where a scaled-down Parliament is meeting to pass economic stimulus spending measures to soften the virusâ€™s economic blow.
JAKARTA, Indonesia – Indonesia has changed towers built to house athletes in the 2018 Asian Games to emergency hospitals.
Four of the 10 buildings used to house 24,000 Asian athletes have been redesigned to a coronavirus hospital with a 3,000-bed capacity in the country’s hard-hit capital, where new patients have surged in the past week.
President Joko Widodo on Monday officially launched the hospital as an army plane carrying 9 tons of health supplies, including 105,000 protective tools, masks and sanitizers for medical personnel arrived from China.
Widodo’s administration has been criticized as slow to deal with the virus’ spread, which could overwhelm the health care system in the country of more than 260 million people.
Indonesia, which has the third-largest population in Asia after China and India, reported 514 COVID-19 cases with 48 deaths, including six doctors and a nurse who died while helping patients with a lack of protective tools.
Widodo has ruled out the possibility of imposing a lockdown on Jakarta and has instead ordered mass testing to contain the coronavirus disease spread and has prepared about 200 hospitals run by government, military and police as well as private as the country braces for an anticipated surge in COVID-19 patients.
TOKYO – Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced Monday that Japan will require a 14-day quarantine to all visitors from the United States, including the Japanese and Americans, effective Thursday and until the end of April.
Abe made the announcement at a government task force on the coronavirus, citing the escalating COVID-19 infections around the world, especially in the U.S. and Europe in recent weeks.
Japan on Sunday raised a travel advisory for the U.S., urging the Japanese citizens not to make nonessential trips to the U.S.
He said the U.S. recently took similar measures and urged Americans not to make nonessential trips to Japan, requiring a 14-day quarantine for entrants.
Abe said Mondayâ€™s quarantine requirement is in line with measures taken by other countries, including the U.S. and shows Japanâ€™s commitment to join international effort to stop the further spread of the coronavirus.
He said Japan will continue to launch â€œflexible border control measures without hesitationâ€ and urged his ministers to keep their caution levels up high.
The Associated Press receives support for health and science coverage from the Howard Hughes Medical Instituteâ€™s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.