The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Medical Supply Technician (Sterile Processing) in Iowa City, Iowa Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Medical Supply Technician (Sterile Processing) – Iowa City, Iowa
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 219448Start Date: 02/25/2020End Date: 03/06/2020
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 03/06/2020. BASIC REQUIREMENTS a. Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section A, paragraph 3g.) b. Experience and/or Education
(1) Experience. Six months of experience that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to perform the work or provides an understanding of the work; or (2) Education. One year above high school that included at least 6 semester hours in health care related courses such as sterile processing, nursing assistant, hospital corpsman, and operating room and surgical technician courses or other courses related to the position; or
(3) Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable. c. Certification. None. d. Grandfathering Provision. All MSTs that are employed in VHA in this occupation on the effective date of this qualification standard are considered to have met all qualification requirements for the title, series and grade held, that are part of the basic requirements of the occupation. For employees who do not meet all the basic requirements required in this standard, but who met the qualifications applicable to the position at the time they were appointed to it, the following provisions apply:
(1) Employees grandfathered into the GS-622 occupational series as MSTs may be reassigned, promoted up to and including the full performance (journeyman) level, or changed to lower grade within the occupation.
(2) MSTs who are appointed on a temporary basis prior to the effective date of the qualification standard may not have their temporary appointment extended or be reappointed, on a temporary or permanent basis until they fully meet the basic requirements of the standard.
(3) MSTs who are converted to title 38 hybrid status under this provision and subsequently leave the occupation lose protected status and must meet the full VA qualification standard requirements in effect at the time of reentry to the occupation. e. Foreign Education. To be creditable, education completed outside the U.S. must have been submitted to a private organization that specializes in the interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education must have been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U. S. programs. f. Physical Requirements. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019. g. English Language Proficiency. MSTs must be proficient in spoken and written English
in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j, this part. GRADE DETERMINATIONS: (4) GS-06 (Full Performance Level) (a) Experience. One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level. Experience includes but is not limited to: basic knowledge of surgical instruments used in operating rooms and clinic settings, basic knowledge of event-related packaging in regards to sterility, knowledge of sterilization and cleaning equipment. (b) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Knowledge of surgical instruments used in operating rooms and clinic settings.
2. Knowledge of universal precautions for safety and prevention of cross contamination.
3. Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, microbiology, medical conditions and procedures.
4. Knowledge of sterility principles in regards to instrumentation.
5. Ability to read and interpret written instructions and procedures. (c) Assignment. This is the full performance level for the occupation. References: VA Handbook 5005/83, Part II, Appendix G47, MEDICAL SUPPLY TECHNICIAN (STERILE PROCESSING) QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated JULY 8, 2015. The full performance level of this vacancy is GS06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is GS06.
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are free to apply!