The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for a Dental Assistant in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Dental Assistant – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 170180Start Date: 11/22/2019End Date: 12/06/2019
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 12/06/2019.
Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency. Dental assistants must be proficient in spoken and written English. Experience and Education: Six months experience that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to perform the work, or provides familiarity with the work. OR Successful completion of a 1-year dental assistant program accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation). Preferred Experience: Incumbent should have thorough knowledge of dental assisting/terminology. Keyboard/computer experience is very helpful since our patients’ dental/medical chart is electronic. Incumbent should be proficient in exposure of dental x-rays and acquire national radiography certificate within one year of employment. Expanded functions are preferred but not required. A varied knowledge of dental specialties such as endodontics, oral surgery, periodontics, geriatric dentistry and prosthodontics is very helpful. Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements listed above for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates.
GS-6 Staff Dental Assistant (Full Performance Level)Experience. At least 1 year of experience equivalent to the GS 5 level that demonstrates the core competencies described at that level.
Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study that included or was supplemented by completion of a dental assistant program by CODA. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical KSA’s:
1. Ability to identify normal oral anatomy.
2. Advanced knowledge of instruments, materials, and standardized dental procedures used in all phases of restorative, surgical, endodontic and periodontal care and procedures.
3. Ability to monitor and perform basic interpretation of vital signs.
4. Ability to independently provide procedure-specific patient education and appropriate referral of patient concerns to treating dentist.
5. Ability to capture standard and special dental images of good diagnostic quality in traditional or digital formats.
6. Ability to perform maintenance on dental equipment used for routine and specialty dentistry.
7. Ability to enter and retrieve data utilizing electronic dental records.
8. Ability to perform dental assistant-appropriate laboratory procedures. References: April 19, 2011 VA Handbook 5005/46 Part II Appendix G36. Dental Assistant Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office. The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6. Physical Requirements: The work of the position is primarily sedentary. It may require some lifting (10-20 lbs) occasionally. Reaching above shoulder; Frequent keyboarding (4-7 hours per day); Sitting (4-7 hours per day); Walking (up to 6 hours per day); Standing (up to 8 hours per day); Infrequent climbing/descending of stairs; Some bending; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Correctable near sighted and far sighted vision; Hearing (Aid permitted).
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at email@example.com. All are free to apply!