The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The opening is for an Interior Designer in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
Interior Designer – Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs
Job ID: 129362Start Date: 07/30/2019End Date: 08/19/2019
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 08/19/2019. Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-11 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-9. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment. You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below: Basic Requirements: Education – Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study — interior design or other field that included or was supplemented by at least 30 semester hours in interior design, interior architecture, or interior environmental design; or passage of the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) examination. OR Experience – Specialized Experience: Experience that required the performance of work concerned with the design and alteration of interior spaces to meet functional and aesthetic needs such as:
– Identifying, researching, and creatively solving problems pertaining to the function and quality of the interior environment.
– Performing services relative to interior spaces, including programming, design analysis, space planning and aesthetics, using specialized knowledge of interior construction, building systems and components, building codes, equipment, materials, and furnishings.
– Preparing drawings and documents relative to the design of interior spaces in order to enhance and protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
– Coordinating and integrating the mechanical, electrical, and structural engineering disciplines within the interior context.
– Managing projects, developing cost estimates, evaluating bid proposals, reviewing construction documents, participating in on-site construction visits, conducting pre- and post-occupancy evaluations, developing standards for efficient space management, etc. Grade Requirement (GS-11): Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-9 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: providing technical expertise, coordinating with others to ensure compliance with regulations, providing consultation and designs for new construction or renovation, preparing and utilizing a design budget, participating in planning and coordinating moves. OR, Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree OR, Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education beyond a master’s or equivalent degree. Applicants must meet the basic and grade requirements to qualify for this position. You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
CommunicationComplianceDesignFinancial ManagementHuman FactorsTechnical Competence Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Physical Requirements: Work can vary from seated at a desk in front of a computer to extensive walking throughout the facility/grounds (interior and exterior) and visitation to construction sites and several off-site facilities. Work may require some lifting (catalogs/artwork/samples etc. and travel/driving as needed to showrooms, furniture dealers and satellite facilities. Dexterity is required related to duties performed in drafting, sketching and writing. For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management’s website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/. NOTIFICATIONS:
– This position is a AFGE Bargaining Unit position.
– Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized.
– Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
– Incomplete applications will not be considered.
– Veterans Preference does not apply to current Federal Employees.
– Current and former Federal employees must submit copies of their most recent SF-50 (Notice of Personnel Action). The SF-50 must identify the position title, series, grade, step, tenure and type of service (Competitive or Excepted). In some cases, more than one SF-50 may be required to show a higher grade previously held.
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are free to apply!