The United States government is a massive employer, and is always looking for qualified candidates to fill a wide variety of open employment positions in locations across the country. Below you’ll find a Qualification Summary for an active, open job listing from the Department of the Interior. The opening is for a General Engineer (Zone 2) in Aberdeen, South Dakota Feel free to browse this and any other job listings and reach out to us with any questions!
General Engineer (Zone 2) – Aberdeen, South Dakota
Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Department of the Interior
Job ID: 125093Start Date: 07/19/2019End Date: 08/09/2019
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for Professional and Scientific Positions, GS-800, Individual Occupational requirements for GS-800, All Professional Engineering Positions, GS-801). Basic Requirements For General Engineer, GS-0801: 1. Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
2. Combination of education and experience–college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional registration–Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board’s eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
2. Written Test- Evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Applicants who have passed the EIT examination and have completed all the requirements for either (a) a bachelor’s degree in engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college of university that included 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, or (b) a BET from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) may be rated eligible for certain engineering positions at GS-5. Eligibility is limited to positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of the engineering technology program. Applicants for positions that involve highly technical research, development, or similar functions requiring an advanced level of competence in basic science must meet the basic requirements in paragraph A. Because of the diversity in kind and quality of BET programs, graduates of other BET programs are required to complete at least 1 year of additional education or highly technical work experience of such nature as to provide reasonable assurance of the possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for professional engineering competence. The adequacy of this background must be demonstrated by passing the EIT examination.
3. Specified academic courses–Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described in paragraph A.
4. Related curriculum–Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive.) ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: In addition to meeting the basic entry level qualification requirements, applicants must have the following: GS-13: I have at least one (1) year of full-time specialized experience or the equivalent, comparable to at least the GS-12 in the Federal Service (obtained in either the public or private sector). Examples of specialized experience include ensuring efficient and effective stewardships of resources for new construction, renovation, and maintenance of facility management functions; independently schedule and conduct site visits, project inspections, and project coordination meetings with stakeholders including design professionals, other government officials, and building end users; work on complex assignments involving a broad range of managerial, technical, architectural and engineering functions; provide technical assistance to the tribes in architectural and engineering design and in construction contract management; responsible for staff supervision and administration of facility management and safety program activities. GS-12: I have one (1) year specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service that included performing engineering work related to development, planning, design, construction, and operation and maintenance of building and infrastructure projects. Independently scheduled and conducted site visits, project inspections, and project coordination meetings with stakeholders including design professionals, other government officials, and building end users. Work is generally performed independently with only occasional and indirect oversight by a supervisor for even the most complex conditions. GS-11: I have one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the Federal service that included performing engineering work in construction and maintenance of buildings, facilities, bridges, major structures, and roads; design and preparation of project plans and specifications; establishing project and facility inspection requirements; and providing engineering expertise and technical guidance on various topics. Work performed only occasionally required direct oversight by a supervisor when involving especially complex or difficult conditions. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date. Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472).
If you’d like to submit a resume or apply for this position, please contact Premier Veterans at email@example.com. All are free to apply!