MANCHESTER, England (AP) – The Latest on the concert bombing in England (all times local):
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has paid tribute to the victims of the Manchester Arena bombing that killed 22 people and left dozens wounded.
During a joint appearance with British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson in London on Friday, Tillerson said that “the thirst for justice burns very hot” and promised to drive terrorists and extremists “out of our communities” and off the face of the earth.
The leader of Britain’s opposition Labour Party says there is a link between Britain’s actions overseas and the increased extremist threat at home.
Jeremy Corbyn spoke as campaigning for the June 8 general election resumed after a three-day pause following the concert hall bombing in Manchester, in which 22 people died.
Corbyn says many experts including British intelligence professionals see a connection between terrorism and the wars Britain has supported, such as the one in Libya.
Former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher has announced plans for a benefit concert in Manchester to help victims of the extremist bombing that killed 22 people.
The Manchester native said on Twitter he will perform a solo show Tuesday at the 02 Ritz in Manchester. Profits will go to a fund for the families of the victims.
Gallagher had earlier tweeted about his love for the city and said there were “no words” that could describe the tragedy.
London police say extra security is being added for major sporting events this weekend including the FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium.
Chief Superintendent Jon Williams said Friday that extra protection measures and extra officers are being deployed throughout the capital because of the higher terrorist-threat level.
He said fans coming to football and rugby matches this weekend should come earlier than usual because of added security screening.
Williams said “covert and discrete tactics” will also be employed to protect the transport network.
He says police want the approach to be “unpredictable” and to make London “as hostile an environment as possible to terrorists.”
British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing have made a new arrest while continuing to search addresses associated with the bomber who killed 22 people.
Seven other men are in custody in connection with Monday’s blast, with police and security agencies working to prevent further attacks. Their ages ranged from 18 to 38. All are being held on suspicion of offenses violating the terrorism act.
A 16-year-old boy who had been arrested has been released without charge, police said.
Britain’s security level has been upgraded to “critical” meaning officials believe another attack may be imminent.